The Duckhouse Site is located in downtown Cahokia, Illinois, in the backyard of a modern residence. Sangamo Archaeological Center and University of Illinois personnel conducted test excavations there in 2006, under the auspices of the jointly-sponsored French Colonial Heritage Project. These investigations encountered the well-preserved remains of a poteaux sur sole (post-on-sill) dwelling, yard-area pits, as well as what is believed to be a pre-1730 aboriginal house basin that predates the French dwelling constructed on the site around 1760.
The dwelling was probably occupied by Joseph Languedoc, a merchant. The building may also have served as his store, and was abandoned around 1800. Highlights from the excavations include large samples of domestic artifacts found in spatially discrete deposits, yielding insights into past activities in and around the structure. The site has also produced one of the largest samples of well preserved faunal remains associated with French domestic contexts in Illinois.
The results of the excavations at the Duckhouse site are included in Mazrim’s book on French colonial domestic archaeology in Illinois. click HERE
Dr. Terrance Martin has discussed the faunal remains in his article “The Archaeozoology of French Colonial Sites in the Illinois Country” in Dreams of the Americas: Overview of New France Archaeology (Quebec 2008)